The sleeves had proved challenging as I first had to incorporate newly created stitches in to the zig zag lace pattern which was quite difficult to do in places and then I had to start casting these recently made stitches off, all the while ensuring that the pattern was kept accurate. I was relived when I finally cast off the last stitch of the second sleeve.
Next I had to join the shoulder seams of the back and front pieces and I was pleased when I realised that the pattern on the back and front piece of one shoulder matched perfectly and that on the second was only slightly out. With the shoulder seams joined I now needed to pick up some 151 stitches around the neck and complete 5 rows of knit 1/purl 1 rib to form the neck band. This in itself wasn’t a difficult task to carry out but having the back and two front pieces on one needle made for heavy and cumbersome work and I was grateful to get that particular step out of the way.
There was now only two sections of actual knitting left to be done: the right and left front button borders and a relatively short time later both of these were finished – now it was time to do the ‘making up’..
I don’t like sewing! In fact it’s fair to say that the making up of a garment is my least favourite part of all because I can’t sew. Thankfully woolen cardigans, jumpers and hats don’t require a delicate hand and fine needle point skills. All that is required in the making up process is a wool needle and patience.
I have always found it is easier to insert a sleeve whilst a cardigan is still ‘flat’ and so I was quite surprised to find that this pattern called for the side seam to be sewn first, leaving a 22cm gap in which the sleeve was to be fitted. Setting the sleeves is not something I’m particularly good at, at any stage but I was definitely of the opinion that setting the flat sleeves in first and then sewing both the side and the sleeve seams up was the best way forward and so that is what I did.
Sewing the side seams also needed care to ensure that the different patterns on the front and back panels matched up when sewn and on the whole I feel that I did a pretty good job and so with just a few loose ends to tuck away and the pretty little button I had found, to add, the cardigan was finished ….. well except for the blocking which I intend to do tomorrow and which should open up the lace pattern.