Variety: Chocolate Cherry (regular leaf)
Sown indoors: 23rd February 2014
First Seedling: 4th March 2014
Germination: 9 – 12 days
Germination ratio: 8/12 seeds sown (only 2 reached maturity)
This is a new variety for me. I got the seeds from The Real Seed Company and I’m looking forward to tasting one later in the year.
10th March 2014: 6 days old and looking good
15th March 2014: The first set of true leaves are through at 11 days old
12th April: These seedlings have been very slow growing and at one point I began to think I wasn’t ever going to get even one healthy seedling. I now have two okayish looking specimens and one that is struggling to get going. I’m not sure if it is the compost or the seeds at fault but to be on the safe side I will be repotting these into fresh, all purpose compost.
11th May: A month later and the three remaining seedlings are growing really well in the new compost and have been in the uninsulated greenhouse for the last couple of weeks. I think it was a combination of poor seed and compost that caused the initial problems, as even the school Chocolate Cherry seedlings which have been sown in a different compost, are struggling to get going.
26th May: These plants have grown a huge amount in the last 2 weeks and have now been planted out into growbags. Only two of the plants have made it which is a very poor success rate really but I’m still not sure how much of that was seed quality rather than compost quality. Fortunately, one of the plants had a side shoot which I have now removed and planted into compost – it may well grow.
30th May: The first tiny flower trusses are forming
6th July: The first tomato
1st August: We now have lots of tomatoes growing and it won’t belong before they start to change colour. I have snipped off the growing tips of the plants now and have thinned out some of the lower foliage to allow for better ventilation.
11th August: The first tomato is starting to change colour.