Variety: Stupice (potato leaf)
Sown indoors: 9th January 2014
First Seedling: 15th January 2014
Germination: 6 – 9 days
Germination ratio: 9/11 seeds sown
This is a new variety for me. I got the seeds from The Real Seed Catalogue and they describe it as an early fruiting variety, producing tomatoes larger than a cherry but smaller than a beefsteak. I thought I had sown 1 seed per module across 10 modules in my seed tray. Seedlings started to appear after 6 – 9 days and then a second seedling appeared in one of the modules a few days later – so I’m guessing a second seed had been attached to the first.
Of the 10 modules sown, 8 had seedlings by the 9th day after sowing.
All the seedlings appear strong and healthy, unlike last year
10th February 2014: At nearly 1 month old the seedlings still appear to be strong and healthy.
15th March 2014: For whatever reason, out of the 9 seedlings that germinated only these three have survived and are happily growing taller by the day. I have sown the rest of the seeds to compensate for the losses.
18th April: In a change to my usual habits, this year I had decided to try the stage by stage potting on method whereby a different grade compost was used for each stage of potting on. Normally I have used a seed compost to start things off in and then moved straight onto an all purpose compost and, on the whole, this has worked well. The old adage “If it aint broke don’t fix it” should never be dismissed and it soon became apparent that these Stupice seedlings weren’t thriving in the second stage compost.
In the month since the last photo, the growth and appearance of the seedlings hadn’t shown the usual vigour I would associate with tomato seedlings and so I decided to repot them into my usual all purpose compost, in an effort to revive them. I removed as much of the old compost from the root ball as possible and this highlighted the woeful lack of root development for a seedling this size. Once potted on, the seedlings went into the uninsulated greenhouse but were under fleece on a night time.
23rd April: Just a few days later and already the seedlings have perked up and are looking much happier in their new compost.
11th May: 1 month on since I repotted these seedlings and they have put on loads of extra growth and are even developing the first of their flowers.
26th May: Two plants were planted into growbags in the greenhouse and the following day, three more went into tubs in the garden.
30th May: The first flowers are close to opening
24th June: The outside plants have now got open flowers. As you would expect, they are a couple of weeks behind the greenhouse ones.
6th July: Greenhouse plants
11th August: We now have a large number of tomatoes at varying stages of turning red.