The Original Crown
Then in November 2012, I split the main crown into 4 pieces, one of which stayed in the original planting spot which meant I still had one to harvest last year. The three new crowns, created by the splitting of the original, were then planted in different areas, one of which was only 2 feet away from the original. The third piece was subsequently given to a friend and, as is the case with the other crowns, it is now putting on growth with great gusto, so there will hopefully be a bumper crop for every one this year.
As newly split and replanted crowns, no stalks were taken from the new plants last year but this year will be different.
28th February 2014
The crowns are growing at their usual rapid rate of knots.
However, today I noticed that there were several flower heads forming and so I have removed the larger ones but there are some just starting to form which I will remove in a day or so. It is important to remove the flower heads as soon as possible to ensure a healthy plant and generous crop, otherwise the plant will put all of its’ energy into growing the flower head:
8th April: The rhubarb has certainly grown with some speed and taken over its’ part of the bed.
2nd June: The rhubarb has done very well this year and we have enjoyed some tender pink stems which made a very tasty Rhubarb Fool.