I finished my jumper and I love the look and feel of it. I only need to block it, although due to the nature of the pattern I will probably do this with the use of a warm (not hot) iron and a damp hanker-chief, as there is no intricate lacework involved with this pattern at all.
Once the second sleeve was finished, starting with the right sleeve, I had to sew all but one of the raglan seams together. The back seam on the left sleeve was left open to allow for the making of the neckband which, unlike the cuffs and waistband, was knitted in 1×1 rib (k1, p1).
When the neck band had been cast off, the back left raglan was then sewn up and I was able to begin on the sleeve and side seams. The sleeve seams were the trickiest of all, as I not only had to match increase and decrease rows to each other, but I also had to match the pattern – a bit like hanging patterned wall paper really. I know it seems like a lot of trouble to go to for a seam you don’t really get to see but I would know if it was wonky or badly matched and it would play on my mind, taking something away from the beauty of the finished garment. Luckily, I got a respectable match to the pattern all the way down both sleeves and the side seams are nice and straight as well.
As a bonus I have enough wool left to make the matching hat as well and so I have cast this on but my next major project is Eldest Mudlets’ Christmas jumper, the pattern and yarn for which I have already found and just need to purchase. Details of this particular project will be posted after Christmas but I can tell you the pattern and the yarn are gorgeous and I can’t wait to get started.