With my lovely clean large greenhouse taunting me with oodles of space, I turned my attention to my slightly over crowded propagators full of tomatoes, chillies and sweet peppers, not to mention cucumbers and more flowers, that had taken over the house and realised that I needed to do something about potting on some of the seedlings. Armed with 4 bags of freshly bought all purpose compost, I grabbed a tray of mixed tomato seedlings and made my way to the greenhouse.
Now although we are officially in Springtime, the temperatures outside, especially at night, are still reminiscent of deepest, darkest winter and so I couldn’t in reality simply pot on the seedlings and leave them in the greenhouse overnight without some sort of protection. Jack Frost is still very much in residence and happily puts in an appearance whenever he pleases and the weather girl had already predicted the possibility of frosts over the next few days.
I put on my thinking cap and pondered the problem.
My solution was to attach a long bamboo pole to each corner of two sets of staging, string some thick garden twine between them lengthways and then drape my horticultural fleece across the strings and down the sides, thereby creating (I hope) a snug tent for the seedlings within the added protection of the greenhouse. I have walked around the outside of the greenhouse to ensure that there are no gaps in the fleece and, sitting as they are in long black plastic trays, I am as confident as I possibly can be, that my newly potted on tomatoes and the flowers I re-potted on Monday, are as protected from the threat of sub-zero temperatures as possible.
I have also potted on some of my sweet peppers today, as these were in the mixed tomato propagator, and in addition to the greenhouse and fleece, these seedlings have been given an additional layer of warmth, in the form of a propagator lid. I now have some seed tray inserts to wash so that I can sow more seeds tomorrow but, for now, I have packed away the garden for the night and will pick up my knitting instead.