My derelict gingerbread cake village has long since vanished into the mouths of the Mudlets but the urge to try and produce something using the mould, that captured all the fine detail of the windows, roofs and chimneys led me to try a completely different approach. The absence of baking beans or spare rice meant that I was still unable to try baking an actual gingerbread village just yet but what I did have in abundance, was the ingredients needed to bake bread and specifically bread buns and so I though it would be fun to try and make some cottage shaped bread buns – some cottage loaves if you like.
So using a basic white bread recipe that was written on the back of the fast action yeast packet, I set about making the dough for the bread. This particular recipe only required that the dough be proved once and for only around 40 minutes which meant it would be ready for baking around school pick up time.
In preparation for receiving the dough, I lightly but thoroughly dusted the inside of the mould with flour, ensuring that all the tile ridges, chimney recesses etc were coated and then set about figuring out how much dough needed to be in each recess, allowing for rising through both proving and baking.
As it turned out by the time the dough was ready for the oven, the rolls had, for the most part, already risen to almost level with the top of the mould. I popped the tray into the oven just before leaving to collect Little Mudlet from school and by the time I got back, they were cooked and ready to come out to cool down. The rolls had domed slightly and had a lovely golden crust but it was how the other end looked that I was keen to see but I still needed to wait until they had cooled down before I removed them from the moulds.
In terms of detail, once removed, there was more to be seen on the bread rolls than had been on the cakes but the roof end of each roll was a little soft to touch, where it had sat in the mould to cool down and had lost the firmness usually found on the undersides of fresh rolls. Not to be put off I popped the rolls onto a flat baking tray and gave them a few more minutes in the oven, free of the mould and this solved the problem quite nicely.
The bread itself was lovely and the recipe had worked really well which was great considering it was a really quick recipe to make from start to finish (finish being the eating part) and there was only a little bit of residue left on the mould, so the light dusting of flour had done its’ job. The Mudlets enjoyed the spectacle of slightly less derelict looking cottage loaves and certainly took great delight in polishing them off.
Next time it’ll be gingerbread. Just need to get the baking beans …….