The Land Rover Owners Wife


6 Comments

King Cole Cardigan in Opium Leaf: finished!!!

I love the way the patterned looks across the back

I love the way the patterned looks across the back

When I started this project, it was with a quiet confidence that it would be completed in a couple of weeks and handed over to Eldest Mudlet. I certainly didn’t expect it to become a mammoth project and it wasn’t intended to become a birthday present for my first born child. A simple stocking stitch, short sleeve cardi …… just what could go wrong?

Continue reading


Leave a comment

King Cole Cardigan in Opium Leaf: almost finished

I love the look of the front sections

I love the look of the front sections

Poor patient Eldest Mudlet has had a bit of a wait for her new cardigan but I am on the homeward stretch and all the knitting aspects, bar the button loop, have now been completed and only the sewing up remains to be done, including setting the sleeves!

Continue reading


4 Comments

King Cole Cardigan in Opium Leaf: the right front and sleeve

The first cute little sleeve

The first cute little sleeve

For a simple cardigan this is taking some time to knit up but then I guess that can only be expected when I have two gardens to look after and, in addition, have been acting as apprentice mechanic during Annies’ engine rebuild. I have been relaxing with my needles though and I have now finished the second front and the first of the sleeves.

Continue reading


3 Comments

King Cole Cardigan in Opium Leaf: the left front

The yarn has created a different pattern to the back section

The yarn has created a different pattern to the back section

What is it with knitting patterns these days? It seems that the last three patterns that I have used have either been fundamentally flawed, or have been carelessly written with inadequate proof reading to boot. Take, for example, my current project: the cardigan for Eldest Mudlet. A simple enough design you would think and yet with a fundamental error which results in the need to pull back a couple of lines of knitting.

Continue reading


4 Comments

King Cole Cardigan in Opium Leaf: the back

King Cole Opium Leaf Cardi It grew and it grew and it grew. In fact I kept having to remeasure the length of my knitting, to check I wasn’t having a senior moment and had misread the tape measure the first dozen or so times. I hadn’t! The back still wasn’t long enough for me to start the decreases for the armholes even if it did look like I was knitting for the BFG. So I kept on knitting, finally reaching the start of the armholes at 55cm and by the time I had cast off the last of the neck stitches, the back measured 77cm.

Continue reading


5 Comments

King Cole Cardigan in Opium Leaf: for Eldest Mudlet

The yarn is making its' own pattern

The yarn is making its’ own pattern

Last time she was here Eldest Mudlet browsed through available patterns online and chose the design and yarn she wanted me to use once I had finished Middle Mudlets stripey jumper. She had really like my blue top which had been knitted up in King Cole Opium yarn, shade Cobalt but wasn’t over keen on the idea of have an identical top, albeit in a different colour, to her ancient mum. In the event she found another King Cole pattern (3687) which was for the Opium range of yarn and opted for that with a lovely green yarn, officially classified as ‘Leaf’.

Continue reading


2 Comments

King Cole top in Cobalt: finished and blocked

Really pleased with the finished look of the top

Really pleased with the finished look of the top

It hasn’t taken much time at all to make this top and I am really pleased with how it has turned out. Knitting up the neckband didn’t take much time but it when it came to picking up and knitting the sleeve bands, I spotted a sequencing problem with the pattern itself.

As I mentioned in one of the earlier posts about this project, one of the things I really liked was the fact that the sleeves, such as they are, were knitted up as part of the front and back panels. For someone, like me, who hates putting sleeves in, this was a massive bonus. Continue reading


6 Comments

King Cole top in Cobalt: front finished

The finished scooped neck front piece.

The finished scooped neck front piece.

After a slow start in terms of progress on the front section, I’ve actually managed to rattle on at a faster pace and I finished the front yesterday.

As this pattern is for a top with neckline, it meant that part way through the front section I needed to split one row, so that I could knit up one side of the neckline to the shoulder, first. Once the first side was finished, I had to rejoin the yarn to the split row and knit up the other side. Continue reading


4 Comments

King Cole top in Cobalt: Back finished, front started

The back section is finished.

The back section is finished.

I actually finished the back section of the top last week and I am quietly pleased with how nice it looks. It really is a bonus being able to knit the sleeves up with the back section. So with the back piece safely folded away for safe keeping, I was able to start on the front section. Continue reading


9 Comments

King Cole top in Cobalt: back

I love the fact that the sleeves are knitted with the back and front panels

I love the fact that the sleeves are knitted with the back and front panels

Sunday afternoon and I have been busy knitting away at the back of my top for several hours over the last couple of days and I have made good headway. Using the Creme Egg scale of measure that Claire from Mollie&Claire invented (patent pending), I can now demonstrate that one round of the 10 row pattern is, in fact, equivalent to the length of a standard sized Creme Egg, more or less. Continue reading